We offer an 8-12 months internship in our Research & Digitalisation team in Aarau. You will gain professional experience in the energy industry and insight into the tasks of a transmission system operator.
Internship in Research & Digitalisation (80-100%)
Electricity moves our lives and we move electricity! Swissgrid is proud of its employees, who work daily to ensure a secure supply of power in Switzerland. Their expertise and dynamism make them part of our energy.
- As an intern in the Research and Digitalisation team you independently take over delegated development projects, preferably on one of the following two topics:
- Coordinated maintenance scheduling and congestion management in electric power systems
- Flexibility coordination schemes for transmission and distribution system operators
- Depending on the business needs and your interests, you support your team members in additional or alternative ongoing development projects.
- You carry out research, develop or extend concepts, problem formulations and solution approaches, design algorithms, and document the results in reports.
- You implement the solutions and algorithms into software prototypes and build simple Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) to facilitate usage of the prototypes.
- You set up simulation case studies to demonstrate the benefits of the developed solutions.
- You coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the developed approaches are aligned with the overall requirements and business needs.
- You have a university or university of applied sciences degree in electrical/mechanical engineering, computer science, operations research or another related technical science.
- You have a solid background in electric power systems, especially in transmission network modeling, power flow and optimal power flow, ideally, including usage of power systems analysis tools.
- You have a strong background in mathematical and/or metaheuristic optimization, machine learning and/or data analytics.
- You have very good programming skills (preferably in Matlab and/or Python) and, ideally, some prior experience in developing software prototypes.
- You can work independently and efficiently prioritize tasks.
- You have very good communication and presentation skills and are willing to excel in a business environment.
- You have an excellent command of English; knowledge of German and/or French is a plus.
- Comprehensive insight into current R&D developments in the areas of transmission network operation and planning in Switzerland and Europe.
- Diverse and scientifically exciting tasks in a company unique in Switzerland.
- 25 working days vacations and company vacations between Christmas and New Year.
- Flexible working times in a modern environment near Aarau railroad station.
- The position can be filled out as an internship, master thesis, or combination of these (internship followed up by a master thesis or vice versa).
- We are a young, motivated and international team
- Our mission is to spread a culture of innovation in the organization
- We believe in a digital future
- We are curious, eager to learn, and believe in solving problems with a scientific approach
If you are interested, Laura Künzli will be happy to receive your complete application documents. Please apply online via our career portal.